When choosing a seacoast area wedding photographer, it’s important to first decide the style of pictures you want taken. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and the pictures play an important role in preserving memories of your wedding as a special occasion and a family event. All too often people have visions of what they expect in the way of beach side pictures only to find themselves disappointed because they chose the wrong photographer.
Wedding Photo Styles
Do you want black and white pictures, classic pictures, candid pictures or artistically inspired pictures? Do you want formal pictures or spur-of-the-moment pictures or both? Do you want pictures taken with a setting sun in the background while your wedding party stands on shifting sand dunes?
The photographer you choose should have experience in taking the types of pictures you want. Beach wedding photographers are good at taking spontaneous shots while accommodating a constantly changing scene. The photographer should also be able to easily accommodate taking outdoor pictures and then moving into a reception area to take indoor pictures.
In addition, many seacoast weddings are held in local parks or couples want pictures taken in front of historic landmarks. The photographer must be willing to take pictures in a variety of locations in that case.
Tried and True Tips
Following are some tried and true tips for choosing the ideal photographer once you have identified the picture style desired.
- Decide if you want a ghost photographer who stays on the sidelines or a photographer who mixes in with the guests when a photo opportunity presents itself
- Decide what form you want your pictures in including on a DVD, in a traditional wedding photo, in a photo wrapped box, or a combination of forms
- Establish your photography budget and shop around for qualified seacoast photographers who will provide the most number of images and services for the money
- Price a variety of packages to get the best bargains
- Meet with the photographer a couple of times to insure your personalities are compatible
- Look at samples of work that matches the style of pictures you prefer
- Ask for and check client references to make sure the photographer is dependable, will adhere to the agreement, and can actually produce pictures as claimed
- Only choose a photographer willing to put all the agreed on details in a written contract for your own protection
There are hundreds of seacoast photographers listed online. Thanks to the internet you can even pre-screen some of the likely candidates by browsing their online picture portfolios. The first step is to decide what picture style you prefer. The next step is to begin shopping around looking for the best quality photographer within your budget. On the beach or in a church… it’s your day and your pictures.